Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Epic Bus Rides

On one of our 24 hour epics, Jared and I decided to highlight some of our favorite parts of one of Asia's best kept secrets: overland travel. Here are the almost unreadable snippets we wrote in our journal as we were navigating a Northern Thai highway through a thunderstorm.

Early morning heat searing the pavement, I feel like a fried egg.

Always some shade of neon upholstery... usually pink.

"Tuk-Tuk, where you go?" kindly asks a Laos taxi driver. "I'm at the bus station, dude! Clearly I've already got a plan." (Suzi can be a little impatient.)

The same two pop CD's on every bus. A groovy combination of a 1980's Casio keyboard bought at Walmart and a dying cat.

Three Horrific Words: "The Laos Superhighway"

Departure time: 9:30 sharp. The bus is in a creeping reverse by 9:29.

Suzi's mantra, "I have to pee, I have to pee. . . just breathe. . .shit I have to pee!"

Rear view mirrors sporting yellow flowers and Buddhas.

I'm sweating between the boobs. . . aaah, maximum AC. . . I'm FREEZING!

Finally a toilet stop! 3 Baht? For what? You guys don't even supply soap or toilet paper! Whew, sweet release! Wait! Stop the bus!

I need to pee, again.

The old man behind me has quite the smokers cough. Ew! I think he spit up something.

Laos mountain driving, people puking up all night. Aren't you guys used to this yet?

When was the last time you washed these lacy headrest covers? How about the vinyl ones?

Thank goodness Jared is comfy, this could have been a miserable ride.

Hmmm. . . cell phones as radios, interesting idea. Do you all need to play the song so the whole bus hears? Seriously, at least listen to the same song.

One word, cattle. I hope you guys standing in the isle got a discount. At least I get to sit on a bag of rice.

I still need to pee.

No, don't worry drunk Nepali guy, you should just fall asleep with your legs stretched out over two seats while I sit here on the engine cover kneeing myself in the chin every 17 seconds.

Finally we're here... What do you mean we have to get on another bus right now for another 6 hours, I haven't gone pee yet.

Falling off the kiddie stools we are sitting on in the isles between singing drunk Nepalis.

An empty water bottle, an empty back of the bus, a guilty look, and sweet release. No need to stop now, we're almost there I'm sure. I feel a lot better...

No comments:

Post a Comment