Sunday, February 8, 2009

Never Sure What is Next....

I have had an epic last week or so of climbing some of the harder stuff I have ever climbed. After Suzi left, it was boys week out with the Alaska boys, Charlie Thomas, Kyle Hardie, and I. Cold Pancakes with Nutella, peanut butter, and bananas for lunch, with a dessert of bloody knees and sore feet. Ahh... what a life. That is until my brand new, super nice sunglasses got stolen... by a monkey.

To keep the story short... We were just about to start a long multi pitch climb, when I decided it would be fine to leave my bag on the first belay ledge so I didn't have to carry it up the hard climb. And sure enough, as soon as we left, some Israelis called up to us that a monkey had gotten into my bag and were making off with a black case. I couldn't believe it. I am yelling in disbelief at the monkeys and all the spectators at the restaurant below to do something. The only response was absolute laughter. Someone got a picture of the assailant trying on the glasses, and once I get it my hands on the picture you will all see it. Hence forth, I was known as, "Woah! you're the guy who got his sunglasses stolen by the monkeys!" (high five, ha ha ha). So, after all of that excitement, it was time for a change in scenery.

While Suzi is seeking an inner balance in what sure sounds like Utopia, I am off and running, not knowing what lies ahead. Just last night, I left the climbing to continue on around the Southern reaches of the country. Once again, the ever present sounds of motorbikes dominate the sound scape, and the nauseatingly appetizing smell of street food and fish is all that I smell.

I have met up with another friend I met while visiting with Lek in his jungle paradise garden. Birdee is a French man who has abandoned the European ways for the tropics. He too owns a small bit of land, a garden, full of fruit trees from the world over. Birdee is a fruit tree collector of sorts. His garden has over 60 fruits from a dozen different countries represented. I think I have heard of 3 of the fruits before. I have rented a motor bike and will be spending the next few days working with him on his land. It is a wonderful example of Agroforrestry and permaculture ideas, much like I saw in Brazil. After this, who knows what is next.

I was planning to upload a few more pictures, but Birdee's Internet connection is really slow. Hopefully I will be able to do so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment